Welcome!

Welcome to the Bookshelf Detective, a site packed with tricks and tips for readers and writers of children's literature. Thank you for visiting!
Cheers,
Kim Tomsic

Monday, September 7, 2026

Limited Time Submission Opportunity for Children's Book Literary Agents Picture Books through Young Adult Novels and also Adult Fiction and Nonfiction

 


Did you finish your book? Here is a list of agents accepting query letters for a limited time. 

I focused on children's books PB-YA, but I also included ADULT FICTION AND NONFICTION agents incase others wandered over to this post!


Silvia Molteni of Peter Fraser + Dunlop

WHO: Silvia Molteni heads of the children’s literature department at PFD.

AGENCY: Her agency, Peter Fraser + Dunlop is one of the longest-established literary and talent agencies in London.

WHEN: Open NOW (I can never guarantee how long an agent’s inbox will remain open)

 

WHAT: Fiction and nonfiction. Here’s what she says, “I am primarily looking for middle grade and YA fiction. I generally gravitate towards voice and character driven narratives, as well as literary fiction and beautiful writing, which I prefer over complex plots and extensive world building.

In middle grade novels, I enjoy contemporary and realistic settings and magical realism the


most. I love clever humour, but I am always keen to read fiction with endearing characters, mind-blowing adventures and stories with lots of heart. That said, I’m open to all genres, including fantasy, horror, dark and Gothic tales in MG. Some personal favourites are Holes by Louis Sachar, The Witches by Roald Dahl, Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson, Meteorite Spoon by Philip Ridley and The Paul Street Boys by Ferenc Molnar.

On the YA side, I’m looking for fiction across all genres, with a preference for upmarket, literary and voice-driven contemporary and coming-of-age stories. I’m currently on the lookout for an original hook in the psychological thriller space, as well as atmospheric horror, sweeping rom-coms and gripping, rebellious dystopian stories. Light fantasy is of interest, while commercial fantasy that involves extensive world building, high word-count or multi-book series is generally not for me. Some examples of YA I’ve enjoyed: We Were Liars by E. Lockhart, Alice and the Fly by James Rice, Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson, The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky.

I’m open to original non-fiction books aimed at children and YA – from memoir to manuals, popular science and humorous books.

I’m selectively taking on picture books, both in the fiction and non-fiction space; I’m generally drawn to read-out-loud stories rooted in comedy and heart, compelling and original characters, interactive books and stand-out hooks.

Finally, I’m also open to illustrators’ portfolios, across all ages, whether for graphic novels”

 

HOW: Accepts queries via email.

GUIDELINES: Agency page says, “Please send us the first three chapters (or around fifty pages) of your novel, as well as a full synopsis and a covering letter, with a brief CV of your writing career, if appropriate. For non-fiction projects, please send a detailed proposal, alongside the covering letter and CV.” And they add: “You can submit directly via email to one of our agents, and you can find out about their interests here. Please only submit to one agent. Please either email them or their assistant directly. Please note we do not accept submissions via hard copy.”

Email address: smolteni@pfd.co.uk

 

 (per Query Tracker) you can look up her details here: https://querytracker.net/agent/7315

 

Michaela Whatnall - Dystel, Goderich & Bourret

OPEN NOW (at the time of writing this post!)

WHAT: Michaela is especially interested in whimsical picture books and unexplored perspectives. For MG and YA, they’re interested in all genres, including contemporary, fantasy, science fiction, historical, adventure, horror, and rom-com.


Here are more details: *“Picture Book: I am selectively seeking picture books (text only or text and art) that are either wonderfully whimsical, explore an interesting and previously unexplored topic, or that bring a brand new perspective on a common childhood experience.”

Query them on Query Tracker . https://querytracker.net/query/2328

What else: strong interest in children’s literature, particularly middle grade and young adult fiction of all genres, including contemporary, fantasy, science fiction, historical, adventure, horror, and rom-com. In the adult fiction space, they are particularly seeking contemporary, speculative, and historical upmarket fiction, as well as character-driven, grounded fantasy. They are also open to select narrative nonfiction for both children and adults, graphic novels, and picture books.


Maria Vicente, P.S. Literary 

📅 WHEN: OPENS SEPTEMBER 8, 2026 !

For children’s books, Maria is currently looking for middle grade fantasy novels and illustrated


picture books.

👉 SUBMISSION DETAILS:
Queries should be directed to query@psliterary.com. If the agent you are querying is interested they normally respond in 4-8 weeks. I wish I could promise a reply to everybody, but their inboxes are too full to give everyone a reply and still manage their clients.

WESITE: Submission guidelines can be found here: https://www.psliterary.com/submissions/

Their other agents who also might be open include:

            Madison Potter, Associate Agent

Madison is currently acquiring genre fiction, upmarket fiction with commercial appeal, and non-fiction. On the fiction side, she enjoys stories with dystopian settings that explore human interaction with increasing technology; cozy fantasies with warmth and high fantasies with court politics or moral ambiguity; sweeping romances or those with unconventional pairings, such as slasher romcom or horror romances; and strange, cozy horror. In the speculative space, she is particularly interested in mythical creatures that go against norms or plots that subvert typical tropes. She also welcomes high-concept genre mashups or weird girl fiction Read more at: https://www.psliterary.com/submissions/

            Gemma Paynter, Associate Agent

Gemma is actively acquiring adult fiction and non-fiction that subvert expectations. In non-fiction, she is drawn to narrative projects that bring niche subjects to a wide readership, particularly those that blend memoir with expertise. Her interests include pop culture, pop science, fashion, design, literary commentary, and the history of subcultures and counterculture. In fiction, she loves immersive atmosphere, sharp observation, twisty storytelling, and offbeat wit. She is especially interested in folktale-inspired horror and fantasy, gothic mystery and romance, fantasies featuring mundane magic, puzzle-driven mysteries, and cozy stories that feel hopeful yet grounded, like a Studio Ghibli movie. READ MORE AT: https://www.psliterary.com/submissions/


There are others, too! Check them out at https://www.psliterary.com/submissions/

 

HOW: They only accept submissions via email. Queries should be directed to query@psliterary.com. If they are interested they normally respond in 4-8 weeks. Their inboxes are too full to give everyone a reply.

BONUS INFO: P.S. Literary GUIDELINES Below provide details that might help with other agents you query. Best practice- check each agencies website for guidelines or check the links on Query Tracker.

WESITE: Submission guidelines can be found here: https://www.psliterary.com/submissions/

THere are P.S. Literary's guidelines quoted directly from their page (as of September 1, 2026):

Your submission should consist of the following:


Paragraph One - Introduction:

Include the title and category of your work (i.e. fiction or non-fiction and topic), an estimated word count and a brief, general introduction.


Paragraph Two - Brief overview (this is where you hook us!):

This should read similar to what is found on the back-cover of a published book.


Paragraph Three - Creator’s bio:

Tell us a little bit about yourself and your background.


Sample Material:

If your work falls into the following categories: adult fiction, adult memoir, adult non-fiction essay collection, or children’s fiction and non-fiction, please include the first ten pages of text only (or the full text of fiction and non-fiction picture books) within the body of your email. If your work is illustrated, please include a link to your portfolio or sample art. Otherwise, please limit your submission to just the three paragraphs as indicated.

 

No comments:

Blog Archive